Since the founding of the Sotheby's Auction House in 1744, the Sotheby's name has earned renown as a marketer of the worlds most valuable and prestigious possessions. This reputation is built as much upon exceptional service to clients as on the notable luxury property such as art, antiques, jewellery and other holdings that pass through Sotheby's offices worldwide. The Sotheby's International Realty® organisation began in 1976, in part to serve clients desiring a complete package of estate disposition services, and soon became known for representing extraordinary property auctions and property sales throughout the world.
The Dawning of Lew Geffen Sotheby's International Realty
Although the affiliation to the Sotheby's International Realty® network began in July 2000, Lew and Sandy Geffen created the base of luxury property excellence when they opened their flagship office, Lew Geffen Estates, in 1982 in Johannesburg. Over the next 20 years the Company became a market leader in Johannesburg, with over 200 agents operating in 12 branches. Lew Geffen was inspired by one of his colleagues to investigate an association with Sotheby's International Realty® and became an Affiliate. The rest, as they say, is history.
With the input of the legendary Sotheby's International Realty® brand, the company Lew Geffen Sotheby's International Realty grew to be represented throughout South Africa. Barak Geffen led the charge to this expansion and Yael Geffen inspired the marketing. Today, Lew Geffen Sotheby's International Realty is led by C.E.O. Jason Rohde, with 850 real estate agents operating throughout South Africa. Outside of the United States, Lew Geffen Sotheby's International Realty is the biggest single operation and is proud to be a member of Sotheby's International Realty® worldwide which has 845 offices and 19,000 sales associates located in 63 countries and territories globally.